June – December 2013
Which degree pathways are most popular among military and veterans? How can a veteran or active duty servicemember apply their evaluated training for college credit?
Join us for our next webinar and learn how!
“Military and Veteran Friendly Degrees” will feature Excelsior College military counselors and academic advisors discussing a variety of educational options, including:
- Excelsior’s acceptance of more credit in transfer than any peer institution, including credit earned through military training
- Popular degree programs for military and veterans within each of Excelsior’s four schools: Business and Technology, Liberal Arts, Health Sciences and Nursing
- Specific program degree requirements
- Career pathways for each degree
Many veterans returning to school do not possess college-level writing skills, which can make earning their degree even more of a challenge. In this informational webinar, Excelsior College writing experts will explore how veterans can overcome the most common writing struggles and outline resources and services available to both the general public and Excelsior students to help veterans sharpen their skills and find success in college.
In particular, this webinar will address, a number of key areas including:
- Generating topic ideas both with and without research
- Developing a thesis and/or focus
- Essay Organization
- Integrating and citing source material
- Using appropriate language and formal tone
- Effective revising and editing habits (and knowing the difference)
In addition, Excelsior experts will outline educational writing resources freely available to the general public, including Grammarly and both the Excelsior College Online Writing Lab (OWL) and the ESL Writing Online Workshop (ESL-WOW) as well as Smarthinking, which is open to Excelsior students.
LinkedIn, the social network for “professionals”, now has more than 200 million users. But how can returning veterans use the site to network, find new opportunities, and advance in their career? Join Excelsior College’s Center for Military Education to learn how to:
- Develop a LinkedIn profile page that is professional, eye-catching and optimized to be found by employers looking for veterans with your skills and experience.
- Join professional groups that can connect you to industry, help you build relationships, demonstrate your expertise and stay current.
- Create a “brand” that will highlight your professional achievements and tell your story.
- Search and find jobs that interest you!
The presentation will be led by Excelsior College’s Maribeth Gunner, Director of Career Services, and Peter Del Monico, Career Services Coordinator.