June 2013 – April 2014
Which degree pathways are most popular among military and veterans? How can a veteran or active duty servicemember apply their evaluated training for college credit?
Join us for our next webinar and learn how!
“Military and Veteran Friendly Degrees” will feature Excelsior College military counselors and academic advisors discussing a variety of educational options, including:
- Excelsior’s acceptance of more credit in transfer than any peer institution, including credit earned through military training
- Popular degree programs for military and veterans within each of Excelsior’s four schools: Business and Technology, Liberal Arts, Health Sciences and Nursing
- Specific program degree requirements
- Career pathways for each degree
Many veterans returning to school do not possess college-level writing skills, which can make earning their degree even more of a challenge. In this informational webinar, Excelsior College writing experts will explore how veterans can overcome the most common writing struggles and outline resources and services available to both the general public and Excelsior students to help veterans sharpen their skills and find success in college.
In particular, this webinar will address, a number of key areas including:
- Generating topic ideas both with and without research
- Developing a thesis and/or focus
- Essay Organization
- Integrating and citing source material
- Using appropriate language and formal tone
- Effective revising and editing habits (and knowing the difference)
In addition, Excelsior experts will outline educational writing resources freely available to the general public, including Grammarly and both the Excelsior College Online Writing Lab (OWL) and the ESL Writing Online Workshop (ESL-WOW) as well as Smarthinking, which is open to Excelsior students.
LinkedIn, the social network for “professionals”, now has more than 200 million users. But how can returning veterans use the site to network, find new opportunities, and advance in their career? Join Excelsior College’s Center for Military Education to learn how to:
- Develop a LinkedIn profile page that is professional, eye-catching and optimized to be found by employers looking for veterans with your skills and experience.
- Join professional groups that can connect you to industry, help you build relationships, demonstrate your expertise and stay current.
- Create a “brand” that will highlight your professional achievements and tell your story.
- Search and find jobs that interest you!
The presentation will be led by Excelsior College’s Maribeth Gunner, Director of Career Services, and Peter Del Monico, Career Services Coordinator.
Did you know that your training and experience as a military corpsman can be a gateway into a rewarding career as a registered nurse? Today, more than 1,500 military personnel and veterans are pursuing an associate degree in nursing from Excelsior College’s accredited competency-based program that is delivered at a distance.
Join us for our next webinar to learn how you can join the more than 42,000 individuals – civilian and military – who have earned their associate degree from our School of Nursing, one of just 20 in the nation to have been designated a Center of Excellence in Nursing Education by the National League for Nursing.
The presentation will be led by Sandy DerGurahian, director of advisement and evaluation, and Chris Normile, academic advisor, from our School of Nursing, along with Judy Reed, director of veteran services and outreach for Excelsior’s Center for Military Education. Information on admission and degree requirements, an overview of the program including support services and study resources that are provided, and the role of academic advisors will all be covered.
Already an RN? We offer bachelor’s and master’s degree programs to help you take your career even further. These, too, are offered at a distance to meet your busy and sometimes unpredictable duty schedules.